About the Program
Next jury process will be available in 2018. Open for Registration now.
Eligible applicants must have extensive experience in the field of Batik
Residencies range from 3 to 12months and begin in February.
The Resident Artist Program offers
- 7-day studio access every day the studio is open and in operation, unless otherwise noted.
- Access to Batik House common workspace and equipment
- All utilities, heat, air conditioning, water, electricity
- Opportunity to learn about all aspects of Batik
- Participation in many of the studio events and academic collaborations.
- Personal studio space (200 sq. ft.)
- Exhibition/sales opportunities in Batik House Gallery or Partners art galleries in Malaysia
- Access to Batik equipment and set-up.
- Website visibility
- Technical consultation
Expectations of Resident Artists
- individuals are responsible for keeping their used space, hallways, and common areas clean.
- Individuals must be fully enrolled in the Batik Program (at least 10 hours per week) during their residency. This enrollment covers the above.
- Must be advanced and able to work independently and are responsible for processing their Batik work
- All applicants for a Resident Artist space should be able to demonstrate their ability to produce Batik in canting, blok stamping, and some others techniques.
- Only one applicant to a space. Sub-letting allowed with approval.
- Individuals are required to maintain a reasonable level of Batik activity (average of 10 hours per week.)
- Must reprocess and store all their Batik tools, dye, etc.
- Give one presentation/demonstration during their Resident Artist time.
- Participate in the Show and Sales on any level.
- Contribute time to the Batik Program community when needed. Example: helping with workshops and academic and non-academic studio events.
- Have read, accept understand and will adhere to the Batik House Program Safety and Guidelines.
email your application to email@example.com